Have you ever inherited a web-project coded with client-side VBScript which had to be upgraded to work in other browsers? Or a project which was coded in a mish-mash of JS & VBS, and which you need to make consistent? I've had to do both way too many times. Manually converting is a huge pain, and prone to create syntax mistakes. After doing the same syntax conversions and thinking for the nth time that a computer should be doing this, I decided it would. Thus, the ScriptConverter tool was conceived, and way too many hours of painful regular expressions creation were invested to bring it into the world.
ScriptConverter does not perform a complete translation. It converts the basic & most-used language constructs -- the first 90% or so of the work. The remaining 10% you will simply have to convert yourself.
ScriptConverter has only been tested in IE6. It may not work correctly in other web browsers.
If you're interested in the planning & guts: language progress map, converter source, scriptConverter.js, vbs2js_conversions.js, scriptConverter.css
If you want to contribute regular expressions for constructs which aren't covered (or are better than existing ones), they're certainly welcome. I'd love to open this up to be a community project.
ScriptConverter is a work-in-progress, so use it at your own risk. (And be sure to check your code!)
You may use the tool freely, and copy it to use or play with locally, but please do not mirror it publicly without permission.
ScriptConverter was created by Rob Eberhardt of Slingshot Solutions. Send all comments/etc to [email protected]slingfive.com.
There are a few people I gotta thank: Jon Wojtowicz for his contributions and encouragement, and Dean Edwards for his clever js-highlight.htc behavior which I plugged into this.